Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's all about socks

Just now, it's all about socks here at Shades of Grey.

I've made a start on my final pair of Personal Sock Club socks for the year. I've chosen yet another Nancy Bush pattern, mainly because I need (??) to finish them quickly and I want the comfort of familiarity and a pattern that I know will work.

botticelli socks

Very unadventurous of me. Perhaps I should dress things up a bit and claim that I'm knitting my way through Nancy Bush's sock oeuvre - after all, I have now knitted nine of her sock patterns - but that's not really so. I'm not being at all systematic. I just like her patterns and, because I have a number of her books, they are readily to hand. I'm knitting Child's Sock in Miranda Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks, my favourite book of sock patterns, ever. The yarn is Malabrigo sock yarn in Botticelli Red - a perfect rust red I've used for other projects and can't seem to resist.

I want to finish these by the end of the year - or even a bit earlier if possible - mainly because I want to give them as a gift to the old friend of Stepladder fame, and I'll be spending some time with her in the last week of December. But the secondary reason is that I want to clear the decks for my participation in s62011, the Super Special Six Pattern Sock Club 2011 organised with some friends on Ravelry. It's like a Personal Sock Club gone feral. We are voting on six sock patterns for the year which we will all knit simultaneously in a preordained order using yarn from our individual yarn stashes. Elements of surprise, thriftiness, order and companionship. What more could you ask for?

I think I've chosen my yarns for s62011:

2011 sock yarns

As you can see - it's all about socks just now.

2 comments:

Rose Red said...

excellent yarn choices! love the variety of colours - you won't get bored with those!

1funkyknitwit said...

I can't wait to see what becomes of that fabulous cheery yellow ???