I really have no reason for this blog post other than the fact that - perhaps surprisingly - I'm still enjoying knitting log-cabin (sort of), garter-stitch squares for a blanket. I collected the last of my international parcels of the discontinued Mission Falls 1824 cotton yarn from the post office on Friday, with mental thanks to a generous raveller from the US, and now have more than enough yarn to complete the blanket. The dye lots are a bit variable, and some of the colours don't really match, but I think that's part of the charm of a project like this.
I've almost completed nine squares. Each one is about 32cm square. I'm not sure if I will knit 12 squares or 16. I'd prefer a rectangular shaped blanket to a square one, but 12 may not be sufficiently large and I can't face the thought of knitting 20 squares! I'll see how I feel when I get to 12.
Already I'm dreading the sewing together of the squares and the i-cord finish around the edge, but I know the finishing is just so important for a project such as this one. I'm also wondering whether or not to finish it with some backing fabric. I've tried to finish off the log cabin pick-up stitches and yarn joins as neatly as possible, but even so the reverse of the blanket has a distinctly 'wrong side' appearance. Again, I'll decide just what to do when I get to that stage.
But, for the moment, I'm still enjoying the garter stitch geometry of the log cabin squares - and it has the advantage of being an excellent social knitting project as there's no danger whatsoever of making errors while chatting.