Monday, April 23, 2012

In and out (but mainly in)

Destash yarn

Yesterday my small apartment was brimming over with knitters and yarn. I used up every chair I own to accommodate the knitters and every flat space in the room - table, cabinet, and floor - to accommodate the yarn; except, that is, for the table needed for the food.

Destash food

My local knitting group had decided to have a destash - supposedly an opportunity to find a new home for yarn you have decided you no longer want or need. Of course, to make this happen someone else has to acquire the yarn. This was a most spectacular display of yarn. Enough to open a yarn store immediately. I'm afraid I was one of the group who acquired more yarn than they discarded. But with yarn it's quality that counts, isn't it? and the yarn I acquired was lovely - some Madelinetosh sock yarn, some Wollmeise lace and some Oldmaidenaunt organic corriedale.

There was chat and knitting and eating and laughter and forensic examination of all the yarn for sale. If you like knitting, an ideal afternoon.

Most wonderfully of all, a knitting friend (who is also a crocheting friend) brought a gift for me. I'd admired some very elegant grey earrings she had crocheted for herself. Very generously, she had made me some crochet neckpieces. They're lovely. Two shades of grey and a rich yellow - designed to be worn all together. I feel very fortunate.

Crochet necklace

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

I'm so glad you like them!

If it makes you feel better, I had lots of in's and no outs at all (um, because I didn't bring any...). It was a lovely afternoon, thank you so much!

Yarna said...

It was a lovely afternoon - great company, wonderful food and all that yarn!I came home with slightly less than I went with but keep thinking about the ones that got away!

missfee said...

Thank you so much for such a great afternoon Lynn - it was so good to catch up with everyone again

DrK said...

a most excellent afternoon. i came out even, so im happy. and im totally in love with rosereds crocheted jewellery. it suited you perfectly!

1funkyknitwit said...

I can only say that I was an "IN" only ..ahaha I had a wonderful afternoon and thanks so much for hosting and allowing all of us into your beautiful pad. We always have a great time together!
Jane made such a beautiful gift.

Brendaknits said...

Such fun. My kind of party.