Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The gifts are given

I've finished my two blue gift scarves. They've been given away and accepted with kind comments from their recipients. It gives me great pleasure to hand-make gifts for others.

So, this is the lacy blue scarf - given this evening to my redhaired friend who's off to London

haruha + ribbon haruha 2
Haruha 1
The pattern is Haruha by Tikru
The yarn is hand-dyed Patonyl

The scarf's probably a little shorter than I would have liked, but I ran out of time to make it longer. Nevertheless, it's long enough to tie well in several different ways, and it falls beautifully. It was my first time to block 'properly', with blocking wires. I love the neatness and regularity of the blocked pattern, with each stitch clearly defined.

The second scarf was given to my son on his Sunday birthday. I may also have chosen to make it longer if I'd had more time, but as it happens it's the perfect length to tie and tuck into his jacket when he rides his motor-bike.

M's scarf + ribbonM's scarf closeup
M's scarf
The pattern is Men's Cashmere Scarf from Joelle Halvorsen's Last Minute Gifts
The yarn is Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran

This is a simple scarf in broken rib. Somewhat repetitious to knit, but as always I was captured by a stitch pattern that has an elegant simplicity. The finished scarf is warm, soft, but quite assertive. My son likes it and has already used it.

Details of both these scarves are on my Ravelry site for those with Ravelry access

2 comments:

M-H said...

These are both lovely in their own ways. Fit for their purpose. Well done.

Anna said...

Oh Lyn. They're lovely (although everything you knit is lovely - you never knit just ordinary stuff). I hope both recipients appreciate them.