Friday, September 10, 2010

Broken resolutions

Already the resolutions I made when I moved to a smaller space about not accumulating more 'stuff' are breaking down.

New yarn

One of the benefits of being in Brisbane is a visit to Tangled Yarns. I think this is my ideal yarn shop. It's just the right combination of openness and tempting merchandise. It has a nest of cosy sofas and a separate space with tables for sitting around. And it has lovely open shelves with a seductive range of colourful yarns. Apart from the physical space and the yarns, it also has knowledgeable and helpful staff and a very superior on-line newsletter. What more could you wish for? [maybe that it was in Sydney, rather than Brisbane, but I'm greedy]

Astonishingly, about two minutes after I entered the shop Alison appeared - having just arrived from Cairns on her way to a yoga workshop. Knitting can diminish distance.

I think I was still somewhat under the influence of my non-stuff acquisition resolutions and was very restrained in my purchases - some Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (worsted weight in 80% cotton and 20% merino) in rich Barn Red, and an irresistible brilliant yellow skein of Tosh Sock, rather incongruously named 'Chamomile ' (or maybe I just don't know enough about chamomile plants and flowers). I must have been under the influence of Brisbane's bright light in choosing the colours I did.

Then last week my resolutions really did crumble. I bought myself some birthday yarn from Knitabulous. Soft, muted colours that are such a contrast to my Brisbane purchases. Two skeins of Supertwist Merino in Wintersea and Pink Salt - this latter so perfectly named for the delicious pink salt from the Murray River region - and a skein of 50/50 silk and wool in Old Jeans (Ailsa's so good with colour names). And I've discovered that some wonderful knitting friends organised a birthday gift voucher for me with Knitabulous that I'm saving for another special treat. Knitting doesn't only diminish distance, it also brings people together.

So much for my resolutions about accumulation...

5 comments:

Sally said...

That's not "stuff"--that's yarn! Happy birthday, and well done on selling your home, renovating a new one, and moving in! Be good to yourself!

Brendaknits said...

tangled Yarns does sound like a great yarn store. A long way from Canada though. Boo Hoo.

Yoga Knitdra said...

It was great to see you in Tangled Lyn and yes I think you were very restrained. I left there about an hour later wondering how I was going to fit everything in my suitcase on the way home. A belated Happy Birthday to you too!

Rose Red said...

Excellent purchases!! Birthday yarn totally doesn't count. Nor does yarn bought elsewhere than your home - it clearly counts as a souvenir! So, really, you've accumulated nothing. Sort of...

Anonymous said...

oh beautiful choices. i saw that sea salt a while ago and thought of you. and that is so amazing about seeing alison, but so very cool. my sister is in brisvegas, tangled yarns is starting to sound like a reason to visit!